Academic Associates Membership - Single Geoscience Department
The American Geosciences Institute’s Academic Associates Program strengthens university’s efforts in developing a consistent supply of well-trained geoscientists to a wide range of employment sectors, increases the exposure of geoscience academic programs to the non-academic workforce, and promotes communication and dissemination of knowledge between academia and other sectors of the geoscience community. The benefits for departments, programs, and students are outlined below as are the costs.
Supporting Student Access
- Coupon codes for three free abstracts each year for student participation in the Virtual Poster Showcase (an AGU program) and inclusion of these abstracts in the GeoRef database, AGI’s premier bibliographic database for the Earth Sciences.
- Graduating seniors who have conducted research and produced a bachelor’s thesis as part of their program’s degree requirements are eligible to participate in the annual “Best Senior Thesis Award” sponsored by AGI. All submitted entries for the award will automatically will be listed in GeoRef and in the Directory of Geoscience Departments.
Increasing knowledge dissemination across geoscience sectors
- An annual, virtual meeting will be held with all Academic Associates and AGI staff to discuss higher education and workforce issues of concern among the Associates. This is your opportunity to provide insight and offer suggestions to AGI, as well help us prioritize for you in the upcoming year.
- Invitation to the program chair or head to participate in the day-long AGU Heads and Chairs Workshop held each December prior to the AGU Meeting.
And much more…….
- Digital copies of all AGI Workforce reports released during the membership term, including the Status of Geoscience Workforce Report (sent to the department chair)
- Online Glossary of Geology, 5th edition (revised) access for each department via IP address to the institution (libraries excluded).
- Departments will be able to license the use of AGI Glyph and poster for academic and departmental promotional use.
- Each academic associate will receive one (1) class (up to 30 students) Continuing Education Credits from AIPG for taking a Geoscience Online Learning Initiative On-Demand course. Use this when you have to travel and miss a class!
- Each academic associate department will receive 10 “I’m a Geoscientist” pins.
- Each academic associate will receive email notification of internship opportunities at AGI or any that are posted on the EARTH student opportunities page.
- Each department will receive one free quarter page ad in the digital edition of EARTH.
- Each academic associate will receive the printed Directory of Geoscience Departments when published in first quarter of the calendar year.
To sign up, choose your pricing option and you will be taken to a payment page on our secure site. If you wish to pay by check, contact John Rasanen at email@example.com and we will invoice you. John can answer any questions you may have about Academic Associates.